Monday, May 26, 2008

Fr. Tom O'Donnell on the Priesthood

From Allegheny County chaplain Fr. Tom O'Donnell:

Priestly Ordination and Role Models
One of the questions that a priest is frequently asked is “When did you know that you wanted to be a priest.” In my life, the call to priesthood may have come very early. My dad, Bartley, was the janitor at St. Laurence O’Toole Church in the Garfield neighborhood of Pittsburgh for over thirty-five years. As soon as I was able to walk, my dad would take me with him down to the church, rectory and convent. At an early age I got to know all of the priests and Dominican Nuns. On one visit to the rectory when I was about three years old, my dad told me that the pastor, Father Callery, picked me up in his arms and asked me: “Now, Tommy, what do you want to be when you grow up?” My dad tells me that even at that early age, my answer was: “I want to be a priest like you, Father.”
Father Callery died in 1938 when I was four years old. At that time Father Paul Campbell who was in residence at St. Laurence and was the Superintendant of Schools was name the pastor. At the same time a newly ordained priest, Father Joseph Regis Berkmeyer, became the assistant pastor. The people quickly fell in love with the new assistant priest. Father Berkmeyer was a true role model for the children and young people of the parish. His holy, warm, jovial, and affable spirit was constantly present around the church and school. It was no wonder then that Tommy O’Donnell wanted to follow in the footsteps of the elderly Father Callery and young Father Berkmeyer. I talked to Father Rege as the school children called Father Berkmeyer and he advised me to go to the seminary which he had attended, the Pontifical College Josephinum. Father Rege got all of the necessary papers and even took me to the doctors to get the necessary physical so that I would be admitted. In September of 1948 the young fourteen year old, Tom O’Donnell, enrolled at the Pontifical College Josephinum where I remained until I was ordained to the Priesthood on May 21, 1961. I credit my vocation to the example of love in the marriage of my parents, Bartley and Nellie and the role model of two wonderful priests, Father Callery and Father Berkmeyer.
In my own life I would like to think that I have also been a role model for some of the young men who are now priests or soon to be ordained priests. My first assignment was St. Kieran Parish in Lawrenceville. Father Ben Vaghetto was in grade school at the time and is now the pastor of St. Raphael in Morningside as well as being a Judge in the Marriage Tribunal. As an assistant at St. Norbert in Overbrook, I baptized Father Tom Burke. Father Tom has always told me that I gave him a good beginning and as Father Tom Burke says: “Good beginnings last a lifetime.” Father Tom Burke recently received his first assignment as a pastor of Good Shepherd Church in Braddock.
From 1975-1983 I was pastor of Annunciation Parish on the North Side. A young man, who was in grade school when I was pastor at Annunciation, was Thomas Gillespie. Tom is presently studying at Theological College in Washington, D.C. and will be ordained a priest in a couple of years.
After eight years at Annunciation parish I was appointed pastor of St. Wendelin Church in Carrick where I served as pastor for eighteen years. When I first arrived at St. Wendelin Church, I became acquainted with a four year old boy by the name of Nick Argentieri. Every Sunday John and Nancy Argentieri would come to nine o’clock Mass with their sons, Dominic and Nick. The Argentieri family would always occupy the first pew in the church. Inevitably, while I was preaching, little Nick would drop his misalette over the pew onto the floor and then would look up at me and giggle with the greatest delight. From his earliest years in grade school, Nick possessed the social graces, good humor and maturity of some one much older than he. Nick has always been a multi-talented individual. In grade school he was a good athlete and showed his talents in the school plays in which he sang, acted and danced. His talents also included his artistry as a master magician. As a magician he was given the name, Slick Nick. As a young adult, Nick continued to pursue his love of acting in high school and college. I encouraged Nick and went to see him in most of his stage productions in high school and college. Frequently I spoke to Nick about the possibility that God was calling him to the priesthood. After his college years Nick began to answer that call and entered St. Paul Seminary in Pittsburgh. After his years at St. Paul, the Bishop sent Nick to North American College to complete his theological studies. On June 21, 2008 Nick will be ordained a priest for the Diocese of Pittsburgh. I am very proud that I was able to play even a small part in Nick’s priestly vocation. The circle of spiritual life and formation will continue when Father Nick becomes a role model for young men in the parishes where he will serve. Let us pray for all of our priests, those who have been ordained for many years and those who are being ordained this year.
With every blessing and best wish,
Father Tom O’Donnell, AOH Allegheny County and Penna. State Chaplain

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 


Designed by: BrandMill About History Decree Sean MacBride/Principles Spirituality Charity Work Links Photos Membership Contact